Thursday, June 3, 2010

Meet Corrine Kyle


Corrine was born at 8:30 this morning! She was very large for a baby here, weighing 9lbs! It was the first birth I have ever seen! It was pretty much exactly like all of my friends have described it! There were very little complications and it was a great first baby to see.
It was my first day working in the birth room. I was on the day shift from 6-2. It was a very slow day for how it usually is, I was told. There was only one birth and a few baby checks. Baby checks are arranged by those who delivered the baby to come back for a follow up. I got to help with a couple of those. I took vitals and got to watch heel sticks.
After work, Chantel and I went to the market. That was a HUGE culture shock. It was crazy and overwhelming. Babies were running around without clothes on, kids asking you for money, people making comments ( I got barked at), unrefrigerated and uncovered meat with flies on it, and there was a terrible fish smell. It was very dirty, and while the food was probably excellent in taste and quality, I had absolutely no appetite. We bought vegetables and fruit for the dinner. We also got homemade peanut butter that tastes pretty good if you can look past how it was made... In general, there are a lot of stray cats and dogs, everywhere has trash in the streets and yards, and the homes and vendors are extremely cluttered. Not how I like to run things, but I am adjusting.
We came back to the house to eat some fruit. Amber and I headed out again to go to the grocery store so I could buy some packaged spaghetti and sauce (foods not found in the market) ; ) We came back and a great Filipino soup made by two of the girls. We also had eggplant dipped in egg and fried. It looked terrible but it was excellent! We also had fresh pineapple...nothing at home beats it. We also had coke. It is apparently much better here because it is made with cane sugar. It was not as carbonated and tasted flat. However I think I could easily drink a lot at one time.
Chantel and I are now relaxing and will probably head to bed soon! Hope you all are having a great day!
-Megan

12 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that being barked at in the Philipines is the same as being whistled at in the United States!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan: So glad to hear the trip was uneventful and all flights were on time. Even with all the amenities, 16 hours is a long time to be on plane. The best comment so far is when you were barked at in the market. Take it as a compliment. What a great experience being over there. I'm jealous. Take care and know we continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I am so glad to be able to keep updated on your blog and of course through your blog. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would love to be holding all those babies! Enjoy your work and soak up all you can. We'll be praying for you...and your mom!
    Love,
    Becky Larson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girls!!!

    I just want to say you two rock! I think its so cool that you are doing this, what an experience! Im glad to hear you got there safely and that you are adjusting!! please keep us updated, this is great!! Take care
    Love you
    ~Ash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meggers! Glad you made it safe and sound! Sounds like you are having a great time so far. I got a chuckle out of the "budgers" comment. And the geikos. All I can say is that you are a better woman than me! With the food problems and the lizards...YIKES!!!!! :-) haha
    How neat to experience the miracle of birth! Tim didn't fair as well as you when Sam was born, he got a little woozie, but he is a man so enough said! LOL I will be cking in quite often to see how you are doing! Take care, love ya! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girls,
    Glad you made it safely! It sounds like you get to jump right into work and have already had lots of interesting adventures...thanks for the updates, have fun!!
    Love Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kamusta Ka Megan?
    Ha, didn't know I knew Tagalog did you? I work with a native Filipino, but she is not a budger!! :) Glad you made it, now your Mom can stop pacing. Looking forward to following your blog. Enjoy...

    Mahal Kita,
    Christel and The Obie's

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to hear that your girl's experience is going just how I imagined....I think even better :) Welcome to the world lil Corrine! We share the same birth weight (I was a big babe too! haha) And to all the lil babies whom my friends will help come into the world-you have 2 amazing girls helping you and your mommy out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Girls!! Glad to hear the trip is going well so far! Keep the updates coming :) You are both in my prayers!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made "3" attempts to write on here so I am not going to say much on this one cuz it probably won't work either...and that is Chantel's Gramma for ya...love ya and miss ya and enjoy those precious babies...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya, What fun for you two.I know you are learning alot.Read you're blog acouple of times. Looks like good living. You will be OB nurses when you get out. Phyllis Slick

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya, Need sunscreen!! The sun is hotter there. I know you are having a great time. the baby's are wonderful. Love, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete