Thursday, June 3, 2010

We Made It!!!









Chantel and I have arrived safely in Davao! Our flight out of Minneapolis was 25 minutes late, so we were thinking we were off to a bad start. Our 16 hour flight was great! I watched a couple movies, slept, and ate delicious food! Rice is served with everything. My favorite was the Filipino sausage. Chantel and I were blown away with all of the amazing things that happen on international flights. We were given three meals, snacks, a pillow, a blanket, toothbrush and toothpaste, socks, sleep mask, personal televisions, and our favorite: a warm wash cloth! We didn't know what to do with it... When we stopped in Guam to refuel, the first thing we saw was a giant American flag inside a building. It reminded us of home. Each place we went seemed less and less American as we went. In Manila, we waited to get tickets, much like how a DMV is run. We got a ticket and waited for our number to be called...they never called it. Don't worry though, we used our friendly natures and told someone. It was a big deal for us. The Filipino people are very friendly! However, they are terrible at waiting in lines. They are budgers. We came to find out that it is part of their culture and in no way is it offensive. Chantel and I learned to be aggressive. When we got to Davao, Heather, one of our supervisors came to pick us up.
Heather dropped us off at the house and we got settled in. She came back to get us and took us to her house where we met her kids and then went to the mall. While at the mall, the power went out. Everyday for two hours the power goes off to conserve energy. Some places have a generator, but many do not. When we returned to the house, we met a lot of the girls and they made us dinner. We took a tour of the clinic after dinner and then hit they hay.
I woke up bright and early at about 3:00am. Welcome to jet lag. I have been fine though all day. I took a shower with a gecko and Chantel made breakfast with one. They did not try to sell us car insurance thankfully! The heat makes me feel drained, but not really tired. It is very humid. My hair is holding up well : ) It stays hidden in a pony tail. I am constantly sticky. I never complain that I am cold here!
The pics above are of Chantel and I with our boarding pass to the Philippines in LA, the house, and the view from the windows!
-Megan

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you both made it there safe!!! Try to get some sleep :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear the update, sounds like it is going to be a great trip!

    ReplyDelete