Sunday, June 6, 2010

Our First Exploring Adventure...By Ourselves!






What a day we had! My day started off pretty lazily... I woke up around 7 and spent the morning talking to friends (and Joel)who were online. I love those chats!! I waited around for Chantel to wake up, which she did around 1:15 from her first night shift. I think she enjoyed her sleep this morning in the air conditioning...or air con. as they call it here. We made a little lunch and then planned out an afternoon.
First stop was Victoria Plaza, which is a mall. We got some money exchanged so we could really hit up the town! From there, we rode in a taxi to a little coffee shop called Cafe Deletesse. Kendra, a student midwife and Iowan native, gave us directions to meet her there. Good thing, because we can't speak any Cebuano and the cab driver did not know where it was. We gave him our directions she made us and off we went! The cab driver had Miley Cyrus all over his visor! ha! When we arrived there were four Mercy girls there! It was such a cute coffee place. Chantel and I got drinks that had "us" written all over them! Chantel got a pink strawberry smoothie with whipped cream and sprinkles on the top! You should have seen her face when she saw it...It was like she was back at Disney she was so excited! I got a boring iced latte, but it was sooo delicious!! Kendra came and talked with us for awhile. We discussed pretty much everything under the sun, especially nursing and midwifery topics. She was telling us a little bit about the significance of America in the Philippines during WWII. To me, it seems like we used them to get closer to Japan, but they love America here. Everything has some American influence it seems. They have American dishes in every restaurant, American advertisements, and American brands in the mall. Chantel's and my favorite American touch is the music they play! I think we have heard of every song that is played in public places! As I type...a man just walked down the street singing "Two is Better Than One!" We jammed to N*Sync's "This I Promise You." It is so funny! And Taylor Swift IS everywhere!
After our iced treats, we took a walk down L. Torres. It was odd because there would be small shacks and then big huge restaurants and clubs. We stopped to eat at CoCos. I of courses had spaghetti and Chantel had a chicken pannini. It was delicious. We felt like we were in an American resturaunt. It was so strange to feel like you were walking in a third world country and then all of a sudden were in a super nice resturaunt that could be found in the US.
We walked back to Victoria Plaza after dinner to pick up some laundry soap and food. Then, we headed back home where we both took one amazing shower. Definitely not hot...but not too cold. We are currently enjoying the beautiful weather outside on the porch...with a fan of course!
We love you and miss you lots!
Megan and Chantel

3 comments:

  1. Megan and Chantel -
    Thank you so much for posting this blog! It's so wonderful to hear about your adventure!! Sounds like you both are having such a great time. I admire both of you for being so strong in so many ways! I really don't know if I could handle a live birth...you know how I get about taking about births, Chantel!! haha. I'll keep checking for your updates. I'm keeping you in my prayers! Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was scrolling through the pics I was admiring the both of you and your yummy drinks, and THEN when I saw my name on the sign my eyes literally popped out. I had to do a double take ;) Nobody told me I had a store in the Philippines...I hope they don't think I have neglected them haha I am so happy you girls were able to venture out on a journey...give it another week and like I said you will be dancing through every street (maybe jamming to Backstreet Boys?)*Sigi Sigi* :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor Swift!! WHOOOO!

    ReplyDelete