Monday, June 28, 2010

We're Catching Babies!

Megan and I are super excited to inform you all that we have both now been able to deliver a baby!! Megan delivered a baby boy, named Nathaniel, on June 27 @ 2:58 a.m. She got to do an IE (internal exam) and the mom was 7-8cm. The supervisor told Megan this could go quick since it was the mother's 3rd baby. And quick it did! Only 20 minutes later the baby had come out. It was a very nice birth for her, and she had a great first experience. Megan was able to do follow up care on the mom and baby, such as the bath and newborn exam. She also got to do the first day check up this morning actually. Sounds like everything is going well for mom and baby, except the mother told her she only breastfeeds the baby every two hours for ten minutes. Megan informed her that is not enough time and that she needs to breastfeed for 20-30 minutes at a time. Pictured below is Megan with the baby :)




My birth, on the other hand, was not as smooth as Megan's. Here's how it played out. I was on swing shift and was assigned this labor patient at 2:00 pm. She had an IE at 10:30 am and was only 2 cm. So we did another one at 4:20 pm and she was 6cm. So I thought for sure it would be a little while longer before she delivered, I thought I'd be lucky if she delivered on my shift. Well, I was wrong. At 6:00 pm she was fully dilated and wanting to push. Even though she was fully dilated, whenever she pushed there was no opening. So we got her up to a squatting position and that seemed to help because not shortly after the head was visible. So we laid her back down and the head started to come out. When the head came out I had to check for a cord around the neck, but that baby was so tight in there it was hard for me to get my fingers around the neck. Kind of had a hard time getting the rest of the body out but it did and it was a boy! June 27 @ 6:25 pm he was born. But when I set that baby on the bed it was very limp. It wasn't crying and they were having to do deep suctioning by putting a catheter down his nose and mouth to suck out any gunk he might have swallowed. Still very unresponsive and was getting very blue. They next had to do PPV, I think it stands for positive pressure ventilation, basically just a bag and mask. At this time I was pretty nervous and praying like crazy! I just kept thinking to myself this baby had got to make it! The mother had all ready experienced a miscarriage at 3 mos. of pregnancy during her first, and this baby was her second. Thankfully, the baby started to breathe on his own and was regaining normal color. Everything was just fine after that. They named him Jhonel. It was quite the experience, I must say. Really felt like a real midwife, because I too was able to do all the follow up cares after birth. And tomorrow morning will be my baby's first day check up.









Megan and I both share in the feeling that we are so glad we were able to deliver a baby before we left. We can now officially say we're ready to come home! Which will be very soon. Only two more days here, crazy! We both work the day shift on Tuesday and then our flight leaves Davao at 12:20 on Wednesday afternoon. Who knows, maybe we'll get to catch another baby before we leave ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment